Absolutely the best palm for your garden. Superior in every way to Trachycarpus fortunei we believe this palm will one day replace the common fortunei as most popular palm.
Our reasons for thinking this :
- Very tolerant to cold in combination with humidity
- Small and stiff leaves, more suitable for small gardens
- Due to the shape (bonsai like) an enormous customer appeal
- In my experience no problems keeping this palm potted in winter close to a wall
- Great tolerance of wind, the major enemy of T. fortunei
- The perfect choice for coastal situations
- Excellent root system and very tolerant of transplantation.
Unlike Trachycarpus fortunei the palm seems to originate from Japan and Korea at higher latitudes. This means the palm needs to adapt to more summer heat and humidity combined with extreme winter cold, making it by far the most adaptable cold hardy palm in existence.
Otherwise very similar in cultural requirements to Trachycarpus fortunei.